…Your colors turn into mud…
Present a THREE day Painting and Color Workshop – Language of Color
…So, you can only draw a stick figure…and your colors turn into mud…
You are exactly the kind of person that will do well on these courses. Come on a journey of self discovery while you have fun learning all the techniques and styles. Learn how to paint while having fun doing so. You will be amazed at what you will accomplish.
If you’re looking for ‘cheat sheets of colour swatches’ this isn’t the course for you! This course is for those who want to know, understand and be able to repeat their results.
DATE: 12 – 14 APRIL 2016.
TIME: 09H00 – 16H30
PLACE: WHOW STUDIOS
COST: R1550 (materials not included. See material list)
Register on-line http://www.whow.co.za/contact-us.html
What will you learn?
How to transform your colour mixing in three days!
- With so many different colours available, when starting colour mixing, where do you begin?
- You find yourself standing in an art store with rows and rows of paints in front of you, scanning up and down the aisles trying to take it all it. Exotic names and vivid colours vie for your attention, from a Potters pink to a Green gold, and other names you just can’t seem to even pronounce!
- Most modern manufactures have over 100’s different colours to choose from, from mineral inorganic colours to man made organic colours – the choice is immense…To make things more difficult, some brands can call the same pigment a different name.
Who is this course for?
If you’re new to acrylic painting or have been painting for years but still have trouble mixing tonally accurate colours and judging colour harmony, then you would see instant improvements on this course.
Why? Because you would have learnt the foundations of colour theory and understand how simple it is to mix and match the perfect colour, every time.
If you’re looking for ‘cheat sheets of colour swatches’ this isn’t the course for you – there’s nothing wrong with specific recipes for colours but I believe having the tools and knowledge is far more powerful to develop as an artist.
A simple approach
- I want to teach you how to mix 80% of the colours you actually need using just 3 (hot and cold) colours – in 20% of the time.
- Then you can expand your palette, adding in odd paints that achieve a specific colour effect depending on your own personal preferences.
- Throughout this course I demonstrate using a traditional, 3 primary & 3 secondary colours.
- I use this because when you’re first starting to learn colour mixing, I’m a great believer in simplicity and a less is more approach
What are the requirements?
- We will only be working in acrylic as it is more user friendly
- You will need a basic set of eight colors that are very common:
- Two reds – cadmium red & alizarin crimson
- Two blues – ultramarine and phthalo blue
- Two yellows – cadmium yellow and lemon yellow
- Two earth colors – burnt sienna and yellow ochre
- Titanium White
- A3 or A2 sheets to mix on
- Brushes and palette knives
What am I going to get from this course?
- Without a clear action plan it can be hard to know where to begin, or where you’ve been going wrong. You don’t want to waste any more paint, so gaining knowledge on how colours ‘work’ in painting, is crucial.
|Day One||What will you learn?||Description|
|Introduction||Here you will find out which eight basic colors I recommend for all paintings. You really do not need to buy more than these eight colors, and as you get to know them you will find your paintings improving.|
|Hot and cold primaries||The difference between hot and cold colours|
What does this mean for my mixing?
|Brights and dulls||Let’s begin our color mixing by using our two blues and our two yellows to get a range of greens, puples and oranges|
|Day Two||The unbelievable earth tones||How to mix your own earth tones|
Importance of earth tones
How do I use it?
See what happens when you substitute yellow and red for an earth color.
|Mixing you own vibrant blacks||Ultramarine, green, BU and PG|
|Lighter Brighter duller darker||How to change one colour in 20 different shades of the same tone: Having a standard way to describe color lets us think about color more clearly, which leads to better color decisions. Learn the best method to conceptualize color when analyzing color in nature AND when mixing on the palette.|
|Having a standard way to describe color lets us think about color more clearly, which leads to better color decisions. Learn the best method to conceptualize color when analyzing color in nature AND when mixing on the palette.||What is Birren’s Triangle?|
How to use the Munsell Color System?
What are the 3 dimensions of color?
Why is color temperature important?
How do you use a color checker ?What’s the best way to see & analyze color?
|Day Three||Value is the basis of all good color work – you might have heard me say, ‘get the value right and you’re 90% of the way there’. Well, this chapter shows you how to get it right ALL the time.||Why is value so important?|
How to best see & analyze value?
How do we make a 9 value scale?
Why is it so hard to see color as value?
What’s the key to value relationships?
7 powerful exercises to master value.
|What makes professional paintings look SO good? This chapter sets your feet on the path to discovering it for yourself. Learn to use color as a tool for expressing your vision, like a composer uses notes and chords to create a symphony.||How can you create a mood with color?|
The 3 Keys to creating true vibrancy.
What makes color ‘sing’?
Value segments and powerful halftones.
Compressing values for richer color.
What makes a memorable painting?
Learn to paint in anything from Realism to Abstract in 32 days.
Learn to draw and paint figures like a master, working from a real “life” model.
You ARE the right person
So, you can only draw a stick figure…
Your colours turn to mud…
You start at the top and end up on the side…
You dont know HOW!
You are exactly the kind of person that will do well on this course. Come on a journey of self discovery while you have fun learning all the techniques and styles. Learn how to paint while having fun doing so. You will be amazed at what you will accomplish.
You will learn and apply techniques like:
Wet on Wet and Wet on Dry
Watercolor Technique….and much more!
You will learn and apply painting styles like:
Painting like the Old Master like Vermeer and Rembrandt
Painting like the Impressionists like van Gogh
Painting like the Expressionists like Edward Munch
Painting Abstracts like Wassily Kandinsky or Karl Appel…and more!